February 3, 2014

Sweet and Sour Tilapia

I have been craving for Sweet and Sour Lapu-Lapu since December. It is one of the traditional dishes I prepare for my family for the New Year's Eve dinner. However, I was not able to cook it because I could not find any lapu-lapu in the market. 

Based on my research, sweet and sour originated from Canton, a province in China. The Cantonese thought of combining two different flavors, though others claim that it was invented by Chinese who migrated in America. 

Sweet and Sour Lapu-Lapu 

Last Saturday, while I was preparing my grocery list and weekly menu, my second son E-mann specifically requested for Sweet and Sour Lapu-Lapu. I know he loves the sweet and tangy taste of this dish so I promised him that I will buy one if it is available in the market. At the same time, I decided it is time to recreate my recipe and improve it further. 

Unfortunately, lapu-lapu is very elusive! I still cannot find any lapu-lapu in the market. Honestly, I was really disappointed because I have been looking for lapu-lapu since the last days of 2013. Hence, my husband and I settled for tilapia, which is fleshy enough for a sweet and sour dish. 

Sweet and Sour Tilapia Fillet
Ingredients: 

500 grams tilapia fillet
1 cup cooking oil for frying
1 tsp cooking oil
1 tbsp. ginger strips
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, sliced
1 medium carrot, julienned
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 cup water
1 cup vinegar
1/4 cup catsup
1/4 cup pineapple syrup
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 cup sugar
pineapple tidbits, drained (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
spring onion for garnish


Procedure: 

1. Wash tilapia. Pat dry with clean paper towels.
2. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat oil in a pan.
4. Fry both sides of tilapia until golden brown.
5. Drain on paper towels. 


To prepare the sauce: 

1. Combine water, vinegar, catsup, pineapple syrup, tomato paste, cornstarch, and sugar in a bowl.
2. Stir well until all solid particles are completely dissolved.
3. In a separate pan, heat oil and saute ginger, garlic, and onion.
4. Add carrots and strips of bell pepper. Cook for a minute or until vegetables are half-cooked.
5. Pour the sweet and sour mixture. Simmer until thick while stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
6. Add pineapple tidbits.
7. Season with salt and pepper. 


Serving Suggestion: 

1. Arrange fried fish fillet in a platter.
2. Pour the sweet and sour sauce over the fried fish.
3. Garnish with chopped spring onion.
4. Serve while hot. 


No comments:

Post a Comment